1. What is the “I Support…” program?
The “I Support…” initiative was originally launched by Gildan in January of 2010
to support charities across North America and create awareness about the importance of charitable donations and volunteerism throughout the apparel and promotional products industry. Due to the positive feedback from the first year Gildan has decided to continue the program into 2011.
Through the program Gildan will steer up to $200,000 to charitable organizations with the input of industry members.
2. How can I participate in the program?
Individuals may nominate their favorite registered charity at www.facebook.com/genuinegildan by submitting a brief story explaining how that charity is making a genuine positive impact. They are then encouraged to have their friends, family and business associates vote for their nomination to help increase that charities opportunity for consideration for a donation from Gildan.
3. How will the recipient charities be selected?
Public nominating and voting period will last to August 31st. At that time the top 10 finalists will be chose based on a cumulative score arrived at by measuring all nominations for any given charity plus all votes for individual charity stories using the following criteria and weight:
• 70% based on the total number of stories submitted for any one charity
• 30% based on the total number of “votes” for the individual submission
From this Top 10 list, recipient charities will be selected by a panel of judges using the following criteria and weight:
• Appeal and Articulation (10%) = measure of the charity’s ability to motivate its support based as demonstrated through the stories submitted by the charity’s advocates.
• Accountability (20%) = how the charity is demonstrating to its shareholders (donors, communities impacted, recipients of assistance, etc.) good stewardship of the resources they have been given.
• Sustainability (20%) = how the charity’s actions are not only meeting immediate needs but also providing recipients of assistance with tools to help themselves long term.
• Impact (50%) = how lives are being touched, change in attitude, behavior or condition is occurring and results are being felt and seen driven by the charity’s activities.
4. Who are part of the panel of judges and how were they chosen?
The panel of judges have not been announced yet but will drawn from influential individuals within the apparel and promotional products industry as well as other relevant organizations. Panel of judges will be announced in or around May of 2011.
5. What is different this year?
This year the “I Support…” program will be offering 5 donations of $10,000 to $50,000 each vs one donation. There will therefore be 5 recipient charities for the program.
6. Who was the recipient charity last year?
Homeboy Industries (based in Los Angeles, California) was chosen to receive the “I Support…” donation last year.
7. What are Homeboy Industries mission and activities?
Founded by Father Gregory Boyle 22 years ago, Homeboy Industries assists at-risk, recently released, and formerly gang involved youth to become contributing members of the greater Los Angeles and Southern California community through a variety of services in response to their multiple needs.
Free programs, including counseling, education, tattoo removal, substance abuse and addiction assistance, job training and job placement and legal services, enable young people to redirect their lives.
Homeboy assisted 12,000 clients in 2009 — 8,000 former gang members from over 800 gangs, and an additional 4,000 gang-affiliated family and community members sought out Homeboy’s help.